Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Relaxers

The "creamy crack" as some may call it. Is an addiction very difficult to give up but there is a way to have healthy relaxed hair and keep it that way. I take the following steps on relaxer day so everything can go smoothly and I have good results while putting my hair and scalp through less stress. I am sure that there are hundreds of more advice online that I will not mention on this blog but this is what I do...

1. I wash my hair the week before and give myself a protein treatment so that my hair is strong and can sustain the stress from the chemicals...( i.e. Nexuss Emergencee, Sebastian’s Penettrait, Aphogee 2 step treatment).

2. Don't scratch! I don't know why but as soon as relaxer week comes my head is an itchy mess....hold the urge lol

3. Protect previously relaxed hair by applying oil the day of relaxer. I use Affirm protecto even though I don’t use Affirm relaxer. You can also use extra virgin coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil.

4. Follow the instructions on the relaxer kit and make sure to apply the relaxer to the edges and nape LAST. This area is very delicate.

5. After the relaxer is applied and rinsed out thoroughly I apply a light protein treatment. When relaxer is applied to hair the PH level is very high and the hair shaft is wide open. The treatment penetrates fully.

6. Neutralize with a neutralizing shampoo (at least 3-4 washes)....I usually give my hair a color rinse on relaxer day

7. Apply leave in, heat protectant do rollers and dry.

1 comment:

  1. So you do the color rinse AFTER the neutralizing shampoo and then you deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner?

    ReplyDelete